Monday, December 6, 2010

Welcome to JMWH Crafts: My First Post

     For my first post on JMWH Crafts, I would like to introduce myself and tell you about my goals for this blog. My name is Jennifer Hayes, and I am a stay-at-home mother of three. For the past few years I have been playing around with the idea of starting my own craft business, and with my youngest going off to Kindergarten next year, I have decided that it's now or never.
     I have, in one way or another, been involoved in something creative for as long as I can remember, and have had many influences. Through my mother I learned how to sew, and was introduced to theater and Broadway musicals at a young age. Through my father, a mechanical engineer, I learned drawing and design. By combining the two I began drawing patterns and designing my own crafts and projects. I designed costumes for my high school drama club, and studied art and art history in college.
    Through my gradfather I was passed the "Packrat Gene", not a medically recognized gene, of course, but quite influential nonetheless. I have a genetic compulsion to not throw anything away that I might find useful later. My grandpa keeps everything, but for me the hoarding is generally limited to craft supplies and containers to keep craft supplies in. There isn't a button, bead, or bobbin that has passed me by. You name it, I've saved it. As a result I love crafts that utilize found objects or recycle some of my craft clutter. If I don't start my craft business soon, my husband is going to stage a revolt and make me throw my hoard in the dumpster. So keep an eye out for following posts about my efforts as a recovering "Craft Packrat".
     Now that I'm a mom, I tend to work on crafts for the kids and also money-saving tips for the crafter on a budget. My oldest daughter especially loves all those little girl trimmings, like accessory-store jewelry and cute glittery purses. I am constantly coming up with affordable alternatives to a trip to the mall while trying to pass on the same designing and sewing knowledge I was passed by my own parents.
     Well, enough about me. Let's get crafting, and be sure to check out my profile and tutorial articles at Suite101.com.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment